1) Find a business owner and talk to them about their customers.
The business owner I talked to was a restaurant owner and they asked that I did not record them.
Who do they think their target customers are?
They believed their target customers to be local shoppers as they are located in a mall's food court. The business owner went as specific to say teenagers that regularly hang out at the mall and older adults looking for quality food as one part of their market.
What are their customers' unmet needs?
Their customers unmet needs are quality fast food in the mall food court.
Where do they find their customers?
They do not have to do much marketing as their location does the selling for them.
What are their customer's demographics?
Customer demographics range, but typically focus around females with the young children.
2) Next, go and talk to 3 'target customers' -- using the demographics/psychographics the entrepreneur described.
The questions I asked are as follows.
What is your name?
How frequently do you go to the mall?
What are you looking for in food court options?
What is your age, if you do not mind me asking?
What is your favorite type of food?
Since my business owner seemed to have a very diverse group of customers. I decided to interview a variety of potential customers ranging from 3-40.
I recorded their interviews as audio, but I was having a hard time uploading the sound. If someone has a suggestion on how to upload that would be greatly appreciated.
Here a transcript of what their answers looked like?
Interview 1:
What is your name?Leah
How frequently do you go to the mall? 2-3 a week
What are you looking for in food court options? Healthy and clean options
What is your age, if you do not mind me asking? 40
What is your favorite type of food? Italian
Interview 2:
What is your name?Kaitlyn
How frequently do you go to the mall? 2 days ( I believe she meant two times a month after talking to her mom)
What are you looking for in food court options? Yummy food
What is your age, if you do not mind me asking? 3
What is your favorite type of food? Pizza
Interview 3:
What is your name?Payton
How frequently do you go to the mall? 4 times a month
What are you looking for in food court options? healthy and unique options
What is your age, if you do not mind me asking? 13
What is your favorite type of food? Italian/ Pizza
3) Reflect.
Does the
entrepreneur adequately understand their customers' problems?
I do not think my entrepreneur understood their market as it was very diverse. But they do have a great understanding of what their customers wanted and how they could best target customers with the quality of food they offer. I feel the customers wanted healthier and faster options then the business owner expected.
Hi Domenica,
ReplyDeleteI think that you did a good job on this assignment. I think that it is good that you interviewed a wide age range of people. This way you are able to compare a wide range of consumer preferences and see who frequents the mall/restaurant the most. I initially struggled to upload the audio too, but what I do now is upload the audio to iMovie and then post it on my blog as a video. The mall draws all kinds of people so I think finding out what their twenty percent is must be a difficult task for the owner. Feel free to check out my blog post here: http://wsentrepreneurship.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-twenty-percent.html
I really really like your post. I also think a healthier option in the food court is important and your right you do not have to do too much marketing because your in the mall where hundreds of people walk around daily. I would also agree with you that your entrepreneur has a good grasp on their best target customers. Great post! Check out mine if you have a minute! http://kingkeith2935.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-twenty-perhttp://kingkeith2935.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-twenty-percent-week-8.htmlcent-week-8.html
ReplyDeleteDomenica,
ReplyDeleteGood post! I think you talked to a good customer base and they provided you with good information for your post. Your entrepreneur seemed like he really knows who is customer base is since it matches up with what his customers say. I look for quality food at food courts! Great post. You can check out my twenty percent post about Study Edge here: http://taylertibbits.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-twenty-percent.html